Sunday, August 16, 2009

CSA Program

I haven't had a chance t o post in a while, both with my computer being a butt and also because my parents were in town for a week. After working a 9 hour day and then spending time with my folks I really couldn't muster up the desire to sit down and write. Unfortunately I think there were a lot of yummy things made while my parents were in town that have gone undocumented, I didn't even bother to take photos. I will try to be more attentive this week. I hope that the 10 hours of sleep I managed to get last night will start me off well for the week.

I wanted to tell you about something cool I just joined. It's an organic produce CSA called Full Circle Farm . CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. With this program I pick up a box of delicious fresh produce weekly at a pick up site two blocks from my house. There are three different box sizes that you can choose from and I get the small box for $30 a week. Let me tell you that it is an amazing deal. I used to waste so much money at the grocery store with produce, because even though I would have a list I would easily stray from it and buy things that I didn't need. I always had produce that went bad. now I just rely on what's in the box for my weekly produce and unless I really need an important ingredient for a dish I no longer buy produce at the store. The small box contains a good deal of produce. It is listed as the best option for a family of two but I think that it could easily work for up to four people, especially of you get a box weekly. Everything I've gotten so far is fantastic and delicious. What I also like is that you can make exemptions in your box, so I will never be receiving beets or mushrooms! You also have the option of substituting items from the box as well as buying extra items, like more produce or coffee, tea and eggs. It really has made shopping very easy for me.

This week I will be receiving all of this in my box:
1 bunch Rainbow Chard 1 bunch Red Radishes
1 pint Cherry Tomatoes 1 bunch Opal Basil
0.34 pound Salad Mix (Cut Greens) 2 each Bi-Color Sweet Corn
1 each Cucumbers 3 each Peaches
1.5 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes 3 each White Flesh Nectarines
1 each Kent Mangos 0.75 pound Santa Rosa Plums
1 pound Farmer's Choice Of Summer Squash

I also added a few extra things to my box because I LOVE FOOD. It's great having the produce list 5 days before your box is ready because it gives you the chance to modify your box contents as well as plan your weeks menu.

If you are interested in joining please let me know and I can give you a code to get $15 off of your first order.

No comments:

Post a Comment