Monday, July 20, 2009

Bacon is the new power food


You've heard of sweet potatoes and blueberries as power foods, but what about bacon? Sure the first two are power foods because they are healthy and do wonderful things for your body, but bacon, BACON can be added to anything! Even sweet potatoes would be more powerful with bacon.


I have been a bacon lover for, let me think about it, FOREVER. I can't get enough of it. And even though I usually start disliking things once they become trendy, bacon is a whole other story. I'm down with bacon appearing as a star in every restaurant. The more I see people using bacon in interesting ways the more inspired I am to use it. In Portland, OR there is a donut shop called Voodoo Doughnuts that makes a maple bacon bar. It's a delicious, spongy yeast donut (my favorite doughnut texture) with a strip of bacon on top. So good! After eating that doughnut for the first time I was inspired to come home and make maple bacon ice cream. I used a David Lebovitz recipe for the maple ice cream and added tiny pieces of crisp bacon at the end of the churning. The bacon adds the salty/sweet factor without being overwhelming. There is a lovely bit of smokiness that really compliments the maple flavor.


I spoke of bacon brownies and eventually there will be a recipe for them, once I find the brownie recipe that works the best. I will also be adding many bacon enhanced recipes to this blog as they are concocted. I have many many ideas forming. For now, I will leave you with the idea of BACON S'MORES RICE KRISPIES TREATS. They will make you happy.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing... is that Cinnamin Toast Crunch?

    Pure Genius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's Golden Grahams, but cinnamon toast crunch would also work!

    ReplyDelete